We study on why Big Brands are Rebranding.
- We are Hello Pomelo, a boutique agency run by two passionate women. We believe it’s not just about creating something beautiful, but creating a lasting impact on your audience.
- WHY REBRAND
Because design trends evolve, and so should youGoogle’s logo design has been an accurate reflection of design trends changing throughout the entire history of design. Back in the 90s and early 2000s, we can see that it was trendy to have shadows, bevels and 3D font.
- Before their most recent rebrand, serif-fonts (characters with a small line at the ends) was used. But in current times, it’s something no designer would dream of pitching to a client. Look at your logo. If you wouldn’t accept it if a designer sent you the concept today, then it’s time for a rebrand.
- DESIGN TRENDS 2019
- Practical Applications
- Sans-serif fonts
- Flat colours
- BUT WHY DOES EVERYONE LOOK THE SAME?
- “…a tuxedo may communicate an image of refined taste, but not if you’re the only person at a party wearing one.” – Rob Walker, Bloomberg
- In other words, you don’t have to stand out for your logo to be effective. Effectiveness of a logo depends on how you want your audience to perceive you. Just take a look at the logos above – all are from the same industry (online jewelry).
- Did you notice all these fashion brands have rebranded to extremely similar logos in a bold, sans-serif typeface? If a bold sans-serif typeface is already generally considered as “high-end”, “professional” and “modern”, why not? But this doesn’t mean you can’t or shouldn’t stand out!
- HOW TO LOOK THE SAME, BUT ALSO STAND OUT
- Add a logomark, symbol or monogram
- Change or do something unique with the font
- Play with typesetting – kerning, arrangement, heights etc
- HOW ABOUT IT? READY TO REBRAND?